Tuesday, January 10, 2012

BRIDGETOWN–IMPRESSIONS

WHAT WE DID/SAW/EXPERIENCED
          • Time in port: 9 hours
          • We almost missed our tour today, because we were supposed to meet at 10 am at the Queen’s Lounge on the 4th floor.  We got there at 10:05 – 5 minutes late – and there wasn’t a soul in site.  Where’d everybody go?  We briskly headed outside and found our group, sitting onboard a large bus.  Yeah!  We made it!  Whew!  (In my rush, I forgot my sunglasses, water and tip money [in envelopes, separated out before we left], but I fortunately had just enough money on me to cover that.)
          • The bus took us through the countryside full of sugar cane.  The roads were, again, narrow – making corners somewhat harrowing.
          • Alas, we arrived and took the scenic Aerial Trek Zipline Adventure, sailing over the terrain below, with stops at its 8 platforms!
Barbados 002 (640x427)Barbados 003 (640x427)Barbados 24 (640x421)Barbados 25 (640x439)Barbados 26 (640x424)

THOUGHTS/IMPRESSIONS
          • I had never been on a zip line before, and this experience was exhilarating, exciting, fun and scary as Hell!  I’m afraid of heights, and these platforms were perched in the trees, far above the ground below.  We were tethered to a cable and slung out, sailing quickly through the air to the next platform.  Each time, I would grab onto a tree and hug it for dear life!  And each time, my heart was pounding hard!  Yet, I’d always think, “that was fun” after I’d made it to a new platform.
          • I think I entertained the group with my screaming and tree hugging; yet, I followed the instructions given and did very well, I think!  Bill, well he was a “natural” (apparently, this is something he did while in the Army, so it was “no big thing” to him; I was amazed at his poise).
          • Again, we found some strong, fabulous black island men for tour guides.  When I say “fabulous”, I mean FABULOUS!  They were SO strong, so reassuring, so “on top” of everything – and even charming!  Here, HAL “undersold” the tour – saying we’d have 2 guides – we had about 8!
          • I was also pleasantly surprised to see a bus full of cruisemates, willing to ride this rollercoaster!
          • On the down side, riding the zip line meant we didn’t get to tour Bridgetown.  Erika, Lynn and I walked to a local street market and did some shopping before we left.

SIDE NOTES
          • The “shocker” of the day was to hear from a lady on our tour that the lady who was hit by the tour van yesterday (in Dominica) was actually hurt much worse than HAL was telling us.  I was told, she was actually run over by the van, twice, and may not have even survived.  She thought HAL was telling people it was a broken leg to avoid alarming us.  Wow.  What a horrible tragedy.  I can only hope that lady pulled through.  No one with HAL has told us how she did … I wish they had.

No comments:

Post a Comment