Tuesday, December 27, 2011

OFFICERS AND CREW

File:The Love Boat.jpg         
Remember "The Love Boat"? In this quintessential "American" television series – which aired from 1977 to 1986 – the lead actors held the roles of ship’s captain, doctor, bartender, purser, "cruise director" and photographer. Who else do we need on a floating city, after all?
          As it turns out, an actual cruise ship has a slightly different list of key officers and crew:
          Captain - Jonathan Mercer
          "Hotel" Manager - Henk J. Mensink
          Chief Engineer - Hans Bloks/Ian Taylor
          Chief Officers - Frisco Kramer/Gerd Teensma
          Cruise Director - Bruce Allen Scudder
          Guest Relations Manager - Christel A. Mensink
          Purser - Peter C. Wallis
          Chief Housekeeper - Chiv Charan
          Culinary Operations Manager - Bart Groeneveld
          Executive Chef - Bernie Rius
          Dining Room Manager - Tom Grindlay
          Beverage Manager - Willy Tubog
          LifeStylists - Danube Jacobs & a "stylist to be named later"
          Shore Excursions Manager - Irene Gruenwald
          Travel Guide - Barbara Heanni
          Hostess - Adele Scholtz

The Love Boat Crew
 So who’s the doctor? Bartender? Photographer? What, an engineer is more important than the guy making my Mai Tai’s and creating my lifetime photographic memories? Hem. Apparently, our priorities have now shifted to staying afloat and enjoying great food, great shore excursions and a clean room.  Who can argue with that, really?  I have no idea what the "lifestylists" will do for us, but if they were hair stylists, I'd be all for that (you make me look good; I'll take it from there)!
          Still, I willingly place my safety and my happiness in the hands of these individuals -- at least for the next four (4) months.  Let's hope we never need the ship’s doctor or engineer!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I'm curious about those life-stylists too. I hope they explain them to us at some point. And thanks for tracking down the "Love Boat" shots. Do you suppose the two Mensinks are related? And why are there two chief engineers and chief officers? (Can you tell I've never cruised before?)

    ReplyDelete